Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

Well, it's my first holiday in Korea and I think it went pretty well. It doesn't feel like Easter, really, but I went to mass with some people and enjoyed a delicious American brunch afterwards. The weather here is gorgeous and feels almost summery to me. However, I have been warned by everyone I talk to that summer is horribly hot and humid and unbearable most of the time. So I am trying to savor every moment of this so-called spring weather before the summer humidity sets in. I went for a walk tonight in Olympic Park, which I am so thankful for. It's close enough to walk to from my apartment and provides a little respite from the city. It's still very busy, with everyone from ajummas (middle aged ladies) in visors and track suits, to young lovebirds in matching outfits, to crazy (in my opinion) girls in miniskirts and heels, walking around on the paths, taking in a bit of nature. 

Yesterday I had the opposite of an enjoyable nature walk. I was at a restaurant near the park in Seoul that is famous for its cherry blossoms, so after lunch a few of us followed the crowds to the park, in hopes of seeing some of the beautiful trees. Well, it turned out that there was basically one street along the Han River that was lined with the trees, and people were just following along in hoards, so close together that you could touch the person in front of and behind you. Not exactly a relaxing stroll. I'm so glad I went down south last weekend to Jinhae's Cherry Blossom Festival. It was beautiful and had a very quaint feeling. Every single street in the town was lined with the trees. It was also fabulous to have my friends Katie and Ross visiting from China! They were very impressed with South Korea and made me feel happy to be here. I can't wait to visit them soon in Shanghai!

When Katie was here, I had just past the one month mark, and she reminded me that that is kind of a milestone in my year here. Now I've been here six weeks and I can't believe how fast the time has gone. I am feeling really comfortable at work and starting to get more and more into teaching, trying my best to get through the curriculum while adding a little of my own flare, which can be a challenge. I enjoy my weekends immensely, even though I don't have much of a social life yet. It's just fun at this point to continue to explore the city and stumble upon random things. Last night I was walking home through a residential area, and I see what looks like a small office completely filled with flats of eggs, from floor to ceiling. Maybe it doesn't sound that weird, but it was a LOT of eggs, in the middle of a bunch of apartments. And then I thought, maybe the chickens live here. It was weird. 

I really wish I could find some people who are experiencing this all for the first time with me. It's great to meet new people, and I have met quite a few, but I have yet to find another newbie. For people who have been here even six months, every observation I make about Korea is old hat to them. It's hard to believe that will be me in a few short months, but for now, I just really want someone who I can be like, "I know! It's so crazy!" with, rather than, "Yep, that's how it is." Maybe I just need to sit down somewhere and watch for that bewildered look of the newbie foreigner. I think I still have it a bit, but it's getting better. Much better. I learned Hangul, the Korean alphabet! I use "learned" loosely, but I am starting to sound things out and it has opened up a whole new world. I think I am going to look into taking some free Korean classes. I love languages and it would make me feel so much more confident if I could understand a bit more than hello, thank you and give me one, please. 

I finally got a cell phone! I thought about getting a fancy-schmancy phone now that I'm making the big bucks, but it turned out to be too difficult to get a foreigner contract, so I got a used one and I'm just paying as I go. So if you want to call me, my number is 8210-8697-4554. Incoming calls are free for me, so call me anytime. Well, maybe not in the middle of the night, unless it's something really interesting. 

I should get going to bed. This has been long, and I feel that there's so much I didn't say. I guess it's impossible to say it all. You all just need to come visit and see for yourself! I love you all and I hope you are having a wonderful Easter!  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,
    Sorry I'm not a newbie and instead a big know-it all. I do like reading your newbie observations though. You're doing a much better job than I am of documenting! Props to you.

    P.S. We need to hang out in Olympic Park sometime. I have zero nature in my dong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss those ladies in the visors and track suits. The equivalent of those ladies in China are 40-60 year old women wearing matching pajama suits and high heels. And we're not talking some classy pj outfits for older ladies, I'm talking about old school, fleece jammies - with everything from ducks, to Hello Kitty, to firetrucks with wings. They wear them grocery shopping, to walk their dog, to take the kids to school - I mean, this is some serious business, you know. It's like a bunch of oversized toddlers in heels. Ha ha. Makes track suits seem so classy!!
    Oh, and thanks for mentioning me in your blog. Woohoo. I need to post the pics from our camera...soon and very soon. Good luck finding your newbie friend...totally necessary, I agree. Maybe you could try www.newbiefriendfinderinseoul.com Just a thought. Doug sends his love.
    k

    ReplyDelete