Saturday, May 16, 2009

Teacher's Day

Yesterday was Teacher's Day here in Korea, and let me tell you, they know how to treat their teachers here. As a teacher back home, I didn't even know when Teacher Appreciation Day is, and I can't remember ever getting anything for it. But here, it's a different story. It all started on Tuesday when I got a $100 gift certificate to a fancy department store from ONE kid. Then when the kids came in yesterday morning, they poured into the teacher's office with homemade cards that all say I love you, thank you for teaching me, etc. Pretty cute. I had been hearing about outrageous Teacher's day gifts since I got here, so I didn't know quite what to expect but I have to admit I was a little disappointed with just the cards. I know that sounds so greedy but I had heard of getting crazy things like Louis Vitton bags (not that I care about a Louis Vitton bag).  But THEN I got another $100 gift certificate to the same store from the whole class, and then to top it all off, my other class sang to me, gave me yet another $100 gift certificate! This is craziness! $300! I guess I'm teaching at the right place, because I heard there is a law that public school teachers can't get any gifts over $30. Hogwans are the place to be! We can be bought. Just kidding. But I won't be able to help thinking of my dear kinders when I wear the new shoes I'm going to buy. I love Teacher's Day! 

3 comments:

  1. don't lie. you love louis vitton. especially the white design with multicolored patterns. it's so you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahhaha, mandi--you just made my morning :)

    Erin, what does the word "Hogwans" mean? sounds kinds like HogWARTS...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi knows me so well.

    Hogwan is the korean word for language academy. Katie Hewitt said the same thing! I think it's a great word.

    ReplyDelete