Saturday, June 6, 2009

1/4 of a Year

It's hard to believe, but I have been here for three months now, and I am sad to report that the three month marker is not finding me particularly happy to be here. Not to be dramatic (me? dramatic? never!), but this is kind of the worst case scenario that I let myself imagine before I left. Lonely, working horrible hours, not liking the city, watching a lot of tv on my computer. I feel like I've given it a go, and now I'm ready to come home. I think what's really getting me down lately is that it's summer and that should mean grilling out and bike rides and outdoor music and patios, but it's just the same old nasty city around here. As I type these words, I hate how negative I sound but that's just the way I'm feeling. As I think about 9 months ahead of me, I think, I can get through anything. But is that any way of going through life? I just don't know. I have to stay for 6 months before they pay for my plane ticket, so I'll at least stay that long, but you might be seeing me earlier than expected. A year is a long time. 

 In other news, I went to my first movie here last weekend. I couldn't believe it, but I went to Star Trek and really liked it! The whole experience was very enjoyable. You reserve your seat ahead of time and it's printed on your ticket, so you can walk in at the last minute and you know right where to sit. They have overpriced popcorn just like at home, but here you can get it in three flavors. I had caramel and it was delicious. It was such a comforting feeling to walk into the theater. It felt like home. That is, until the Korean movie previews started. It was interesting to watch with a crowd reading in subtitles. Whenever the Russian kid spoke in his thick accent, everyone burst out laughing. I don't get how you translate an accent. I guess they know English enough to recognize an accent. Interesting.

I also had another first last weekend: climbing my first Korean mountain! I met up with a hiking group and set out to climb Bulamsan, right on the edge of the city. I realized how very out of shape I am. It was so hard. Not like Montana, with nice trails and switchbacks. This was sandy, gravelly trail straight up the mountain. And the way down was even worse, thinking that I would slip on the gravel and slide all the way down the mountain. At one point, we had to back down two big boulders using a rope that was attached at the top. I am not good with things like this, but I made it without hurting myself too bad. Oh and my other favorite part was crawling on my hands and feet up the unfinished stairs that led the way to the peak. And then I thought I was there, but oh no, there was another few boulders to scamper up, or rather, drag my tired body up. But in the end, it was all worth it for the cool view of the city and a day in the sunshine. I might be going out again tomorrow, this time to the highest mountain in Seoul. I hope there's no ropes involved!

One more thing: I hear people back home are worried about all the North Korea business. It's strange but I really feel like people here are not concerned. I asked my Korean teacher about it, and she was so nonchalant and almost laughed at my concern. They all just say that Kim Jong-il just wants to show his power before he dies, and they're used to these threats. I also learned last night that my apartment is not far from one of the two evacuation points for foreigners if anything were to happen. So no worries, I am and will be safe and sound. 

2 comments:

  1. Awww...sorry you're feeling the homesickness! Seems like three months is about when it hits an all-time low. I know it was for me when I moved away from everybody. The newness is gone, you haven't replaced all your bestest friends yet, I'm sure it is a bad feeling being in another culture on top of it. Hang in there, don't make any plans to throw in the towel yet! Give yourself a little more time and you might feel totally different in even just a few weeks. Also, while the outdoor grillin and chillin is fun here in Mpls, please remember, it is the same as it was last year and the same as it will be next year. You've got lots of these summers in your future, but maybe just this one chance to do something completely crazy and different. I promise it'll all be here in 9 months! Take care honey!! We'll be sendin' you good vibes to get you through the rough times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally sitting at a computer! Yay overseas adventures!

    I understand your homesick feeling! Rarely a day passes that I don't think of how much I miss home! But you can do it, a year in the scheme of things isn't really that much... At least this is what I keep telling myself (about two years though!).

    I am very jealous of your carmel popcorn though... I get excited when they're selling apples in my village!

    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete