Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Finally!

I guess I have only been here three days but I have so much to say! I was SO frustrated because the blog starter page was in Korean and I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it in English. But then my dear friend Mandi helped me from across the ocean and here I am. SO happy I can share this crazy adventure with you all!! 

Where to begin? How about imagining the worst possible thing that could happen when you are arriving in a foreign country with no contact information, solely banking on the fact that "Eddie" (no last name) is picking you up at the airport. I had this thought, but not until we were just landing in Incheon: What if Eddie doesn't come? but I pushed that thought out of my mind because I am a trusting and faithful individual. But that was the point that I realized that I didn't really have any contact info for Korea Poly School, where I would be working. Oh well, I thought. Eddie will be there. We landed, got through immigration, got my luggage, no problem. I walked out to the greeting area and there were loads of people holding signs with names on them. I scanned them in my jet lagged delirium and did not see my name or Korea Poly School as I was told I would see. No big deal. He'll be somewhere.  I stood around for about a half hour, watching all the arrivals being met by loved ones, telling myself Don't freak out, don't freak out. I didn't. I found the phone number I had for Poly School, took it to the info desk, and she called it for me. No answer. I walked away, downhearted, realized that it was Saturday and no one was there to answer the phone, and then I shed a few tears. But really just a few. I don't have anything against crying but I had to keep together. Now an hour and a half has passed, and the info lady made an announcement barely pronouncing my name. She looked at me like I was crazy when I told her Eddie was picking me up. No, just Eddie, no last name.  Still no Eddie. I came up with a plan. Get some Korean money, call my mom, buy some ice cream (they have Baskin Robbins and I was delirious), then figure out a hotel. I got through the first two, although my mom didn't answer, and was on my way to get some ice cream when I saw the sign. I thought I was imagining it at first. We did the Erin? Eddie? exchange and he asked me in broken English how long I was waiting. I told him two hours and he felt bad. Traffic. Whatever. I was too tired to be mad. So we get in the car and start driving to the city. We were listening to Korean talk radio and Eddie wasn't talking and I was feeling so scared and jet lagged, then he puts in a cd and Beyonce's Halo started playing! I was so excited I shouted "Beyonce!" and Eddie jutst looked at me like duh. But I enjoyed it nevertheless. I will never forget that moment and that song will forever have a special place in my heart. Props to Monica for bringing that into my life. 

Just when I thought I was going to get to my apartment and sleep, Eddie takes me into a restaurant where the director is. He invites us to sit down and eat. I just wanted to pass out at this point, but instead I have to choke down some cold spicy noodles and watch everyone else eat what looks like huge chunks of bacon fat on the BBQ. I think it is going to be very difficult to be a vegetarian here. Especially if I have to eat those noodles. The thought of it makes me shiver. 

Finally got to my place which was kind of gross, but thankfully only temporary. The shower is in with the toilet! You just stand right by the toilet to shower, which is fine I guess but kind of a problem if you need to go to the bathroom after you shower. I almost had a cartoonish falling moment this morning because my feet were wet and I tried to walk across the floor. Also, it seems that the water smells like kimchi, which is not a pleasant odor whatsoever. I suppose these are the things I will get used to...

I have so much more to say but I fear this is getting long. I haven't even started in on the job. And there is lots to say about that. In short, yesterday (my first day) was pretty horrible and overwhelming, but today was SO much better and I really enjoyed myself and the amazing kids. I LOVE the kids. Thank God. I was needing to love something about this whole thing. I know this is just a tease but I will write more tomorrow. Gots to go email and go to bed in my new, nice apartment! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Neighbor,

    Glad to hear you had a harrowing first day; seems like an adventure. The hot tea, cozy fire, and warm conversation after being soaked in the rain are always that much more lovely in the end. Have you gotten there yet? :)

    This evening, I had an after-graduation teacher's party (enkai), and because someone told me the wrong time, I arrived late, after I'd just woken up from a nap, and was feeling quite out of place; however, soon the familiar faces and kind conversation warmed the cockles of my heart, and I left with general feeling of good will. Mmmmm...

    You'll be in my prayers this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Erin! I know exactly how you must have felt having to eat your first crazy meal with some big-wig while jet-lagged. Oh, the stories you'll have...I am so excited for you right now! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I know those cold nasty rice noodles in red spicy sauce...so gummy and disgusting!!! Beware of the dog soup. You should ask someone at your school to write on a piece of paper (in Korean) "Only veggies, no meat, no fish" So when you go to a restaurant you can show the waitress the paper. It's a lifesaver.

    Love your blog - the green is so YOU!!! Welcome to Asia, my lovely friend!

    ReplyDelete